What If I’m Hit by an Uber driver in Philadelphia?
In metropolitan areas like Philadelphia, ridesharing companies like Uber and Lyft are abundant. They offer convenience and low fares to get to and from locations.
Yet just like any other driver, Uber drivers are susceptible to accidents, distracted driving and other acts of negligence. Unfortunately, it happens quite often. Uber drivers are equally responsible for following motor vehicle laws. If an Uber driver has injured you, it’s important to know how these drivers are insured and what options are available.
What Uber Says
Uber drivers are required to carry specific levels of insurance on their vehicles and must demonstrate proof that these thresholds are met before they can accept passengers. Specifically:
“To drive with Uber, you are required to have, and provide proof of an appropriate level of vehicle insurance. The requirements are:
– You must have comprehensive or third party property damage cover.
– You must be listed as an insured driver on the policy, even if you are driving someone else’s car.
– The insurance policy must list the vehicle make type, model, year and registration
– The insurance policy must display an effective and expiry date.”
Additionally, Uber drivers are covered by insurance that they maintain depending on their specific activities:
If they are waiting for a passenger:
- $50,000 per person/$100,000 per accident for bodily injury
- $25,000 per accident for property damage
If they are on their way to a passenger or transporting:
- 3rd party liability coverage, underinsured/uninsured, bodily injury are set to at least 1 million dollars
- Contingent and comprehensive coverage is active with a 1,000 deductible
Being involved in an auto accident is a serious matter and can cause catastrophic injuries. Getting hit by an Uber or Lyft driver doesn’t make it any less serious. One should remain constantly vigilant on the road and while walking around high traffic areas to avoid such injuries. Yet, if you are unavoidably injured, it’s important to know your options and to speak to an experienced attorney to determine the best course of action.
Murray L. Greenfield & Associates offers free consultations to any person involved in an injury involving rideshare drivers. Their experienced attorneys can review the circumstances of your incident and determine if and how a claim should be made.
Our attorneys work on a contingency basis, which mean that we don’t get paid unless you are compensated for your injuries.
Have you been injured by a rideshare driver? Give our office a call and a member of our staff will be happy to direct you to one of our attorneys.